Due to the surge of the deadly COVID-19 delta variant strain globally and in our neighboring countries, the need to test and sharpen our preparation and response plans is pertinent in preparation for limited re-opening of flights.
In this connection, the Cabinet yesterday has approved the trial of the revised Lock-down plan for the Honiara Emergency Zone through a 36-hour lockdown from 6pm on Sunday 29th August to 6am Tuesday 31 August 2021.
The Government through the National Disaster Council (NDC) says the Lock-down plan was recently reviewed to take into account lessons from the lockdown last year and the delta variant. The review was done by the National Disaster Operations Committee along with stakeholders and donor partners.
“It is vital to maintain operational alertness and sharpen the response capabilities of our frontline agencies as we continue to manage COVID-19 as well as should there be community transmission," the NDC said in a prepared statement.
Details of the Lock-down will be provided tomorrow during a press conference at the National Emergency Operations Centre at the National Disaster Management Office, and further information will be provided in the Sunday Radio Talk-back show, and all media platforms in coming days.
Source: OPMC Media Release