Monday, 16 April 2007 11:24 AM

Final death toll reaches 52

In what could be the final death toll, 52 people have lost their lives in the earthquake and tsunami which devastated Western and Choiseul provinces two weeks ago.

In what could be the final death toll, 52 people have lost their lives in the earthquake and tsunami which devastated Western and Choiseul provinces two weeks ago.

The latest figure has been revealed by the National Disaster Council management Office (NDMO) yesterday.

Program officer, Julian Maka'a says the latest figures have been sent in yesterday by an NDMO officer sent to both provinces to specifically confirmed the number of deaths.

He says Gizo Island alone accounts for 33 of the total deaths.

Maka'a says the new numbers came mainly from Nusa Baruku on Gizo which recorded 10 deaths, seven of whom are children below the age of five years.

He says most of the deaths in the disaster were children.

Maka'a says up to now there is no longer any missing person.

He says nine deaths were reported from Simbo, two for Ranongga, another two reported from Vella La Vella and six deaths from Choiseul.

Maka'a says according to reports that came in so far, people from the Shortland islands have not reported any deaths.

He says although earlier reports suggested that four people were missing on Mono, they were later found.

Letters to the Editor All Letters
By STEVE BANI Vura Heights, East Honiara
By GEOFFREY MAURIASI USP, Lacuala Campus, Fiji
By CHARLES KOULI Gizo, Western Province